We are seeking an Executive Director for Nature for All!
The Executive Director role is a full-time permanent exempt position, and will collaborate with the board of directors and coalition members of Nature for All to accomplish strategic goals that advance the mission to build a diverse base of support for ensuring that everyone in the Los Angeles area—no matter where they live—has equitable access to the wide range of benefits that nature can provide. This mission is carried out by operating a range of programs and through Nature for All’s leadership in coalitions and strategic partnerships. Nature for All devotes significant work to support public policies that align with its mission, specifically those with the potential to protect public lands and water resources, connect underserved communities with nature and create more public lands experiences in historically underserved neighborhoods.
To attract, retain, and support an effective staff team, the board of directors is particularly eager to consider applicants whose organizational leadership approach has demonstrated the development and/or sustaining of inclusive, collaborative and supportive workplace cultures. The successful applicant will possess excellent written and oral communication skills, is open and responsive to ideas from Board members, coalition members, stakeholders and staff team members; honors work-life balance and flexibility of work schedules; recognizes staff value through compensation and retention; and invests in people through mentorship and professional development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
● Actively engage and lead the coalition’s policy objectives with respect to public lands preservation, access to public lands, healthy active recreation, sustainable water resources, leadership development and climate resiliency.
● Facilitate the development of long-range and annual strategic plans with the active participation of the board of directors, coalition members, stakeholders and staff.
● Lead the fundraising activities to develop sustainable operating and program revenues from a diverse range of major donors, grant-making foundations, and private sector partners.
● Implement a public outreach program consistent with coalition policy programs.
● Cultivate effective relationships with elected officials, civic, nonprofit and private sector leaders as necessary to bring greater resources and opportunities that further the goals of Nature for All.
● Act as the public spokesperson on behalf of the board of directors.
● Advocate for the Nature for All mission with coalition partners, public officials, and the media.
● Hire, evaluate, and motivate staff team members to ensure optimal administration, operations, and program/services delivery.
● Engage consultants and collaborate with coalition partners in the execution of annual program, project and policy plans.
● Collaborate and oversee contracts with consultants as needed to conduct fundraising activities and secure services for communications, lobbyists and others to further the goals of Nature for All.
● Ensure full compliance with grant agreements and supervise preparation of grant reports in a timely manner.
● Supervise and monitor the financial and administrative operations and progress toward programmatic objectives, provide regular and thorough reports to the board of directors.
● Lead and support the pursuit of Nature for All’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all programs and coalition activities.
● Ensure compliance with federal and California regulatory and tax requirements applicable to nonprofit organizations.
● Keep the board of directors informed on an ongoing basis and through periodic formal reports of the operations and of the progress toward strategic goals.
General Qualifications, Expertise, Skills and Abilities:
● At least five years of demonstrated leadership and/or management success in positions at nonprofit, private sector, or public agency organizations preferably with environment related assignments or missions, with direct responsibility for supervising staff, fundraising and/or donor relations, developing and managing budgets, and development and implementation of policies, programs and projects.
● A bachelor’s degree, or a combination of equivalent academic/professional training and relevant experience.
● The ability to advocate effectively and collegially with individuals and elected and organization representatives from a wide range of backgrounds and interests.
● Proficient in social media, online video conferencing, shared work platforms such as Google Docs, Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook), and supervision of website content.
● Attention to detail and strong follow-through practices, particularly as a member of broad coalitions.
● Manage sensitive and confidential personal and institutional information with integrity.
● Reliable transportation required for out-of-office travel as required by the position.
● Demonstrated professional and/or volunteer commitment to creating and expanding access to open space, outdoor activities, clean water and multi-benefit projects/programs for families and individuals in the greater Los Angeles community.
● Understand, support, and promote Nature for All’s contribution to and leadership role in multi-organization coalitions, with a focus on optimizing the collective impact of shared goals.
● Pursue their own, and support the Nature for All staff members in their pursuit of, ongoing professional development opportunities, including educational advancement, access to professional publications, professional networking, and participating in professional organizations.
● Support the board of directors in meeting their duties to perform ongoing fiscal and programmatic oversight and long-range strategic planning.
Other duties may be assigned that are not listed in the above job description and the organization may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice
based on the needs of the organization.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit resume and cover letter to:
email@example.com; nominations, referrals, and inquiries welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org; please no phone calls to the Nature for All office or to Nature for All board members.
Applications and nominations will be accepted until 5 p.m. PT on Friday, February 12.