We Need Your Support: Committee Hearings on the San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act
Please sign our petition to request Committee Chairs in both the House and Senate to hold hearings on the San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act (Act). This Act would:
- Expand the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument by adding approximately 109,143 acres in the upper Los Angeles River watershed;
- Establish the San Gabriel Mountains National Recreation Area for the San Gabriel and San Jose Foothills and the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel Rivers comprised of over 51,000 acres;
- Expand Wilderness area designations within the San Gabriel Mountains by 31,069 acres; and
- Designate 25.3 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers in the San Gabriel Mountains
We work to build a diverse base of support for ensuring that everyone in the Los Angeles area —no matter where they live—has equitable access to the wide range of benefits that nature can provide.
Nature For All advocates for policies and programs that will:
- Protect the mountains and rivers in our area, to conserve resources and be more climate-resilient.
- Create more natural spaces such as parks and bike paths in our historically underserved neighborhoods.
- Connect people to public lands through more trails and other outdoor recreational opportunities, to improve public health.
In 2008, a group of national and statewide environmental organizations and smaller local community-based groups came together as San Gabriel Mountains Forever to fight to permanently protect the San Gabriel Mountains. In 2014, we were successful, when President Obama designated the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument. It was an amazing victory—and gave us the momentum to expand our efforts. In 2017, San Gabriel Mountains Forever was reintroduced as Nature for All to build a diverse base of support for ensuring that everyone in the Los Angeles area—no matter where they live—has equitable access to the wide range of benefits that nature can provide. Nature For All remains committed to our efforts in the San Gabriel Mountains, with a direct focus on federal legislation to protect the San Gabriel Mountains.
Nature For All coalition members include:
- Active SGV
- Amigos de los Rios
- API Forward Movement (APIFM)
- Audubon California
- California Wilderness Coalition (CalWild)
- The City Project
- Climate Resolve
- Council of Mexican Federations (COFEM)
- Day One
- National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA)
- Sierra Club
- Trout Unlimited
Nature For All is a project of Community Partners ®