- Drowning is a leading cause of injury-related death in children less than 15 years old. CDC tips on how to protect children from drowning.
- Prevent access backyard pools when not in use. Install fencing and use locks/alarms for windows and doors.
- Tips on swimming in lakes, rivers and oceans.
- Do not swim alone and use the buddy system.
- Don’t mix water activities/recreation with the use of alcoholic beverages, drugs or other mind-altering substances.
- Do not swim when overtired, overheated, or immediately after eating.
- Do not swim in unfamiliar areas, which may harbor unknown dangerous currents, deep holes, debris or other hazards.
- More water safety tips from California State Parks