To advocate for and organize on behalf of federal legislation and policies that protect the San Gabriel Mountains, foothills, and rivers.
Our federal legislative efforts in the San Gabriel Mountains involve:
- Wild & Scenic Rivers
- Expansion of the National Monument
- National Recreation Areas
- The monument was designated by President Obama in October 2014, as a direct result of our efforts over the years to secure additional protections for this region.
- The U.S. Forest Service relied on our input to develop the San Gabriel Mountains Monument Plan and to make sure it is a monument for all Angelenos. Work in this area continues with our role in the San Gabriel Mountains Community Collaborative.
- Advocated for further legislation to expand the new monument, establish a National Recreation Area outside of the Forest and wilderness, and Wild and Scenic River designations for areas of particular conservation concern.
- Supported and organized efforts to make improvements to the region, including the East Fork River Project.