Good news: The House of Representatives passed H.R. 2546 – Protecting America’s Wilderness Act in February 2020, which includes our San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act. On the same day, U.S. Senators Kamala D. Harris (D-CA) and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced the companion Senate bill, the Protecting Unique and Beautiful Landscapes by Investing in California (PUBLIC) Lands Act. We need your support to urge the Senate to pass the act and have the bill signed by the President.
The San Gabriel Mountains provide 70% of Los Angeles County’s open space, and the need has never been greater for improved visitor services, access to nature for our diverse urban population, and expanded natural resource protection. To address these issues, the Protecting Unique and Beautiful Landscapes by Investing in California (PUBLIC) Lands Act was introduced in the Senate to:
- Expand the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument by adding approximately 109,143 acres in the upper Los Angeles River watershed;
- Establish the San Gabriel Mountains National Recreation Area for the San Gabriel and San Jose Foothills and the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel Rivers comprised of over 51,000 acres;
- Expand Wilderness area designations within the San Gabriel Mountains by 31,069 acres; and
- Designate 45.5 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers in the San Gabriel Mountains.
- Please sign our petition to urge the Senate to pass the Act to ensure our threatened natural resources remain protected, vibrant and accessible to all, now and for future generations.