Nature for All is working to protect and expand the San Gabriel National Monument and other public lands around Los Angeles, so we may safeguard our natural resources and provide access to nature for our diverse, urban population.
In February 2020, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 2546 – Protecting America’s Wilderness Act in February 2020, which includes our San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act. On the same day, U.S. Senators Kamala D. Harris (D-CA) and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced the companion Senate bill, the Protecting Unique and Beautiful Landscapes by Investing in California (PUBLIC) Lands Act (S. 3288).
Seizing on an opportunity to join forces with other public lands bills, the House of Representatives and the committee on Natural Resources passed H.R. 2546 – Protecting America’s Wilderness (PAW) Act (H.R. 2546, DeGette) in February 2020, a combination of six public lands bills that includes the San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act. More information on H.R. 2546 can be found here. This is significant, given that right now Protecting America’s Wilderness Act is awaiting passage via the the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) which is a “must-pass” legislation for Congress. We need your support to urge members to pass the PAW Act and have the bill signed by the President.
Our champions have helped deliver significant wins for our public lands. It’s important we continue this momentum by carrying this bill over the finish line this year and we need your support and voice to help us accomplish this. Please sign our petition, and we encourage you to share with your friends, family, businesses or organizations who value public lands, public health, equity, and climate resilience.
“This legislation represents the next step in protecting and connecting the San Gabriel Mountains, and will preserve thousands of acres of land and water for future generations.” —Rep. Judy Chu
The San Gabriel Mountains provide 70% of Los Angeles County’s open space, and the need has never been greater for improved visitor services, access to nature for our diverse urban population, and expanded natural resource protection. To address these issues, the Protecting Unique and Beautiful Landscapes by Investing in California (PUBLIC) Lands Act was introduced in the Senate to:
- Expand the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument by adding approximately 109,143 acres in the upper Los Angeles River watershed;
- Establish the San Gabriel Mountains National Recreation Area for the San Gabriel and San Jose Foothills and the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel Rivers comprised of over 51,000 acres;
- Expand Wilderness area designations within the San Gabriel Mountains by 31,069 acres; and
- Designate 45.5 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers in the San Gabriel Mountains.
- Please sign our petition to urge the Senate to pass the Act to ensure our threatened natural resources remain protected, vibrant and accessible to all, now and for future generations.